Lewis Remele, Jr.
Lewis A. Remele, Jr. ("Lew") is a well-respected litigator who has served as the firm's chief executive officer. He is a magna cum laude Harvard graduate and received his J.D. cum laude from Creighton University.
Mr. Remele is regarded as one of the leading lawyers in Minnesota, and was selected Best Lawyer in Minnesota by Minnesota Law & Politics/Super Lawyers in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012. He was selected as the 2009 Minneapolis Bet-the-Company Litigator of the Year and 2012 Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants Lawyer of the Year by The Best Lawyers in America. He is listed in Law and Leading Attorneys andWho's Who in American Law. Mr. Remele is recognized by the international research firm Chambers & Partners as a top business litigator. In addition, he is included in the Minnesota Lawyer Circle of Excellence for being selected as an Attorney of the Year for 2007 and 2011.
Mr. Remele maintains a civil trial practice in both tort and commercial matters. He represents insurance companies in personal injury and coverage cases, and corporate clients in diverse commercial suits including employment, contracts, securities, and professional and fiduciary claims, including directors' and officers' liability, class actions, shareholder disputes, debtor/creditor, antitrust, products liability, and trusts and estate litigation.
Mr. Remele has acted as a mediator and arbitrator in several hundred cases in all types of civil litigation. Mr. Remele has been appointed numerous times as a Special Master in both state and federal courts, both as settlement master and as a master to assist the court in discovery and related issues. Some of the most recent appointments include the Baycol litigation, assigned by the Multi-District Panel to The Honorable Michael Davis; the Soo Line Derailment litigation, assigned by Hennepin County District Court Judge Tony Leung; and the Blue Cross v. Glaxo litigation, venued in Ramsey County District Court.
Mr. Remele is past president of both the Minnesota State and Hennepin County Bar Associations, and a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Society of Barristers, the Academy of International Trial Lawyers, the American Board of Trial Advocates and the Academy of Court Appointed Special Masters. He is also a Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
- Club Vista Financial Services, LLC v. Maslon, Edelman, Borman & Brand, LLP, 2011 WL 4947629 (D. Minn. Oct. 18, 2011).
- Pearson v. Oxford Property Advisors, LLC, 2011 WL 1833133 (Minn. App. May 16, 2011).
- Rucker v. Schmidt, 794 N.W.2d 114 (Minn. 2011).
- Pang Nhia Thao v. Central States Health & Life Company of Omaha, No. A09-0204, 2009 WL 3255883 (Minn. Ct. App. Oct. 13, 2009).
- Thelen v. City of Elba, No. 08-1150, 2009 WL 2208161 (D. Minn. July 22, 2009).
- Laurie & Laurie, P.A. v. BondPro Corp., No. A08-1154, 2009 WL 1374889 (Minn. Ct. App. May 19, 2009).
- Consumer Data Industry Association v. Lori Swanson in her official capacity as Attorney General of the State of Minnesota, No. 07-CV-3376, 2007 WL 2219389 (D. Minn. July 30, 2007).
- Berman v. Maslon, Edelman, Borman & Brand, LLP, No. A06-351, 2006 WL 3734278 (Minn. Ct. App. Dec. 19, 2006).
- Professional Fiduciary, Inc. v. Silverman, 713 N.W.2d 67 (Minn. Ct. App. 2006).
- Afremo v. Amplatz, 2006 WL 44341 (Minn. App. Jan. 10, 2006).
- Bach v. ConAgra, Inc., 2005 WL 3417283 (D. Minn. Dec. 13, 2005).
- Janssen v. Best and Flanagan, LLP, 704 N.W.2d 759 (Minn. 2005).
- In re Canadian Import Antitrust Litigation, 385 F. Supp. 2d 930 (D. Minn. 2005).
- New Access Communications, LLC v. Qwest Corp., 378 F. Supp. 2d 1135 (D. Minn. 2005).
- New Access Communications, LLC v. Qwest Corp., 368 F. Supp. 2d 952 (D. Minn. 2005).
- Northern States Power Co. v. Federal Transit Admin., 2005 WL 435248 (D. Minn. Feb. 23, 2005).
- Ferris, Baker Watts, Inc. v. Ernst and Young, LLP, 395 F.3d 851 (8th Cir. 2005).
- Midwestern Machinery Co., Inc. v. Northwest Airlines, Inc., 392 F.3d 265 (8th Cir. 2004).
- M.W. Johnson Construction, Inc. v. Western Nat. Mutual Ins. Co., 2004 WL 2283495 (Minn. App. Oct. 12, 2004).
- Catholic Order of Foresters v. U.S. Bancorp Piper Jaffray, Inc., 337 F. Supp. 2d 1148 (N.D. Iowa 2004).
- Northern States Power Co. v. Minnesota Metropolitan Council, 684 N.W.2d 485 (Minn. 2004).
- Mason ex rel. Mason v. Minnesota State High School League, 2004 WL 1630968 (D. Minn. July 15, 2004).
- Honan v. County of Cottonwood, Minn., 2004 WL 878418 (8th Cir. Apr. 26, 2004).
- Cole v. Holland Neway Intern., Inc., 2004 WL 503751 (Minn. App. Mar. 16, 2004).
- Northern States Power Co. v. Federal Transit Admin., 358 F.3d 1050 (8th Cir. 2004).
- Davenport v. Farmers Ins. Group, 378 F.3d 839 (8th Cir. 2004).
- Ferris, Baker Watts, Inc. v. Ernst and Young, LLP, 293 F. Supp. 2d 1003 (D. Minn. 2003).
- United HealthCare Ins. Co. v. AdvancePCS, 2003 WL 22316555 (D. Minn. Oct. 6, 2003).
- Parr v. Gonzales, 669 N.W.2d 401 (Minn. App. 2003).
- Northern States Power Co. v. Minnesota Metropolitan Council, 667 N.W.2d 501 (Minn. App. 2003).
- U.S. v. Diageo, Inc., 2003 WL 21254778 (D. Minn. April 29, 2003).
- Diebold v. Nelson Oyen and Torvik, P.L.L.P., 2003 WL 282430 (Minn. App. Feb. 11, 2003).
- Midwestern Machinery v. Northwest Airlines, 2003 WL 262414 (D. Minn. Feb. 5, 2003).
- First State Bank v. McNally, 2002 WL 31749164 (Minn. App. Dec. 10, 2002).
- Tisdell v. ValAdCo, 2002 WL 31368336 (Minn. App. Oct. 16, 2002).
- Northern States Power Co. v. Federal Transit Admin., 2002 WL 31026530 (D. Minn. Sep. 10, 2002).
- STAR Centers, Inc. v. Faegre and Benson, L.L.P., 644 N.W.2d 72 (Minn. 2002).
- Stockberger v. Physicians Mutual Insurance Company, 2001 WL 1640109 (D. Minn., July 18, 2001).
- Hamilton v. Stageberg, 2001 WL 267477 (Minn. App. March 20, 2001).
- Group Health Plan, Inc. v. Philip Morris, Inc., 621 N.W.2d 2 (Minn. 2001).
- ConAgra, Inc. v. Seeland, 2000 WL 1468200 (Minn. App. Oct. 3, 2000).
- In re Minnesota Vitamin Antitrust Litigation, 606 N.W.2d 446 (Minn. 2000).
- Rasmussen v. Sauer, 597 N.W.2d 328 (Minn. App. 1999).
- Furrow v. Corwin, 1999 WL 391599 (Minn. App. June 15, 1999).
- C.J. Duffey Paper Co. v. Reger, 588 N.W.2d 519 (Minn. App. 1999).
- Arbitration between Fredrikson and Byron, P.A. v. Piper Jaffray, Inc., 1999 WL 43523 (Minn. App. Feb. 2, 1999).
- Hunter, Keith Industries, Inc. v. Piper Capital Management, Inc., 575 N.W.2d 850 (Minn. App. 1998).
- Hellman v. Hertogs, 1998 WL 8461 (Minn. App. Jan. 13, 1998).
- BRW, Inc. v. Harstad, 1997 WL 370404 (Minn. App. July 8, 1997).
- Wagener v. McDonald, 509 N.W.2d 199 (Minn. App. 1993).
- Share Health Plan, Inc. v. Marcotte, 495 N.W.2d 1 (Minn. App. 1993).
- Lecy v. Sage Co., 460 N.W.2d 102 (Minn. App. 1990).
Honors Membership Awards
- Minnesota, 1975
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, 1976
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2004
Honors and Awards
- Listed in 200 Minnesotans You Should Know, Twin Cities Business, 2010
- Attorney of the Year, Circle of ExcellenceMinnesota Lawyer, 2011
- Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer, 2007
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
Best Lawyers in America, All Editions, 1991 - Present
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Minneapolis Bet-the-Company Litigator of the Year, 2009
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Legal Malpractice Law
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Law And Leading Attorneys, All Editions
- Fellow, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Fellow and Life Member, American Bar Association
- Who's Who in American Lawyers (Listed)
- Top Business Litigator, Chambers and Partners (International)
- Super Lawyer, Minnesota Law & Politics, MPLS.ST.PAUL Magazine andTwin Cities Business, 2000 - 2012
- Top 100 Super Lawyer, Minnesota Law & Politics Magazine, 2000 - 2010
- Top 40 Business Litigation Super Lawyer, Minnesota Law & Politics Magazine, 2005 - 2009
- Top 5 Super Lawyer, Minnesota Law & Politics Magazine, 2000 and 2010
- Ranked No. 1 Lawyer in State of Minnesota, Minnesota Law & Politics Magazine/Super Lawyers, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
American Arbitration Association
Academy of Court Appointed Masters
President, 2011 - Present
Vice President and President-Elect, 2010 - 2011
Minnesota Supreme Court Task Force on Legal Certification Review
American Bar Association
Minnesota State Bar Association
President, 1995 - 1996
President-Elect, 1994 - 1995
Treasurer, 1993 - 1994
Secretary, 1992 - 1993
Hennepin County Bar Association
President, 1989 - 1990
President-Elect, 1988 - 1989
Treasurer, 1987 - 1988
Secretary, 1986 - 1987
Hennepin County Bar Foundation
Board of Directors, 1986 - Present
Hennepin County Legal Advice Clinics
Member, 1986 - Present
Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
Defense Research Institute
Legal Advice Clinics
Member, Board of Directors
Harvard and Radcliffe Club of Minnesota
Harvard Alumni Association
Regional Director, North Central States
- Rider, Bennett, Egan and Arundel, Associate/Partner, 1978 - 1988
- Simonson and Bartsh, 1977 - 1978
- Law Clerk, United States District Court, The Honorable Miles W. Lord, 1975 - 1977
- Regional Director for the North Central States, Harvard Alumni Association
- Board of Directors, Pillsbury Neighborhood Services Center, 1997 - Present
- Volunteer Attorney, Legal Advice Clinics
- Board of Directors, Legal Advice Clinics
- Board of Directors, Hennepin County Bar Foundation
- Past President of Harvard and Radcliffe Club of Minnesota
- Trustee, William Mitchell College of Law, 2002 - 2008
Creighton University School of Law
Honors: Cum Laude
Law Review: Member, Creighton Law Review
Honors: Magna Cum Laude