Jim is a veteran trial lawyer with tremendous experience and skill in preparing and presenting cases for adjudication – whether by jury, judge, arbitrator, mediator or the parties themselves. He represents various greater Bay Area companies in business litigation and trade secret, copyright and patent issues involving a variety of technologies. Jim also serves both businesses and individuals in employment disputes, civil rights actions, family law matters and the defense of criminal prosecutions.
- Named a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, Litigation Counsel of America, American Bar Foundation, and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers (membership limited to top 500 trial lawyers in U. S.).
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for 15 consecutive years, currently in Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Litigation - First Amendment, Litigation - Intellectual Property and Litigation - Municipal. He also appears in Who’s Who in America.
- Serves on the Board of Trustees for the University of California Berkeley Foundation, an advisory group for the university’s Chancellor and the campus at large.
- Named one of Top 100 in Northern California Super Lawyers, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012, and Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, 2010.
- Appointed as Special Master for the Santa Clara County Superior Court, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in the Technical Equities cases, described as involving the largest securities fraud in California history.
- Ibrahim v. Department of Homeland Security (9th Cir. Feb. 8, 2012, No. 10-15873) 2012 WL 390126.
- County of Santa Clara v. Superior Court (Naymark) (2009) 171 Cal.App.4th 119.
- Sutter's Place v. Superior Court (2008) 161 Cal.App.4th 1370.
- Jasmine Networks, Inc. v. Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. (2008) 76 Cal.Rptr.3d 172.
- State Board v. Superior Court (2006) 138 Cal.App.4th 951.
- Jasmine Networks v. Marvell (2004) 117 Cal.App.4th 794.
- Zhao v. Wong (1996) 48 Cal.App.4th 1114.
- Fenwick & West v. Superior Court of Santa Clara County (1996) 43 Cal.App.4th 1272.
- Estate of Wong (1995) 40 Cal.App.4th 1198.
- Stalberg v. Western Title Insurance Company (1994) 27 Cal.App.4th 925.
- Portman v. County of Santa Clara (9th Cir.1993) 995 F.2d 898.
- Wright v. City of Santa Clara (1989) 213 Cal.App.3d 1503.
- Lazzaro v. Larson; In re Romo (1987) 190 Cal.App.3d 279.
- People v. Pringle (1984) 151 Cal.App.3d 854.
- People v. Conner (1983) 34 Cal.3d 141.
- Filmamatic Corporation v. General Electric Company (1980) 1980 – 1982 Trade Cas. (CCH) P63, 417.
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley School of Law, 1967
- B.A. in History, with Distinction, Phi Beta Kappa, Stanford University, 1964