David R. Cohen
- In re Welding Fumes Prod. Liab. Litig., MDL no. 1535 (Multidistrict Mass Tort)
- In re Oral Sodium Phosphate Prod. Liab. Litig., MDL no. 2066 (Multidistrict Mass Tort)
- In re Whirlpool Corp. Front-Loading Washer Prod. Liab. Litig., MDL no. 2001 (Multidistrict Consumer Class Action)
- In re Polyurethane Foam Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 2196 (Multidistrict Antitrust)
- Sibley v. Sprint Nextel Corp., no. 08-CV-2063 (D. Kan.) (Employment Class Action)
- Harlow v. Sprint Nextel Corp., no. 08-CV-2222 (D. Kan.) (Employment Class Action)
- Butler v. Sears, Roebuck & Co., no. 06-CV-7023 (N.D. Ill.) (Consumer Class Action)
- Massachusetts v. E*Trade Access, Inc., no. 03-CV-11206 (D. Mass) (ADA Class Action)
- Howe v. City of Akron, no. 06-cv-02779 (N.D. Ohio) (1983 Discrimination Class Action)
- In re Community Bank of N. Virginia Mortgage Lending Pracs., MDL No. 1674 (W.D. Pa.) (Truth in Lending Class Action)
- EEOC v. Spitzer Management, Inc., no. 06-CV-02337 (N.D. Ohio) (Employment Discrimination)
- Snap-On Bus. Solns. v. Hyundai Motor America, no. 07-CV-1961 (N.D. Ohio) (Patent and Indemnity)
- A.R. Arena Products, Inc v. Grayling Industries, Inc., no. 11-CV-1911 (N.D. Ohio) (Patent)
- Universal Surveillance Corp. v. Checkpoint Systems, Inc., no. 11-CV-1755 (N.D. Ohio) (Antitrust)
- Sterling Jewelers, Inc. v. Zales Corp., no. 12-CV-2823 (N.D. Ohio) (Lanham Act)
- C.B. Fleet Co. v. Colony Specialty Ins. Co., no. 11-CV-375 (N.D. Ohio) (Insurance Contract & Bad Faith)
- Baxter v. Lincoln Electric Co., no. 08-WF-17037 (N.D. Ohio) (Product Liability)
- Banford v. Aldrich Chemical Co., Inc., no. 2003-CV-8704 (Ohio Ct. Common Pleas) (Mass Tort Explosion)
- Senior Law Clerk, In re Sulzer Hip Implant Prod. Liab. Litig., MDL no. 1401 (Multidistrict Mass Tort)
- Overseeing and resolving all discovery and e-discovery issues.
- Ruling on privilege issues.
- Negotiating Settlement Agreements between plaintiffs, defendants, and insurers.
- Designing claims administration processes to pay settlement class.
- Serving as appellate reviewer of claimant settlement awards.
- Creating protocols and entering common benefit attorney fee awards
- Monitoring and addressing ethical concerns.
- Monitoring compliance with Court-ordered injunctive relief.
- Drafting opinions for Judicial signature, ranging from pre-trial global Daubert issues,
to summary judgment motions, to post-trial, case-specific JNOV motions.
- Coordinating federal and state-court litigation.
- Ruling on motions in limine.
- Presiding over Markman hearings and construing disputed patent terms
- Assisting Judges in courtroom during bellwether trials.
For full resume visit http://www.SpecialMaster.Law
Honors Membership Awards
Academy of Court-Appointed Masters
- Board of Directors 2009 - present
- Charter Member, 2004 - present
- Publications Committee Co-Chair, 2005 - present
- Membership Committee, 2010 - present
- President-Elect 2012
American College of E-Neutrals
- Charter Member
- Member, Board of Directors, 2011 - present
Association of Certified E-Discovery Specialists
- Invited Member, Certification Committee
- Charter Class, Certified E-Discovery Specialist
The Sedona Conference
- Core Work Group Member, Mass Torts & Punitive Damages, 2008 - present
- E-Discovery Dispute Resolution Program For Special Masters & Mediators
Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation
- Assisting the Honorable William S. Duffey, Jr. with design and content of private Intra-Net resource website for MDL Transferee Judges
American Inns of Court
- Member, 1992 - present
- Program Committee Member, 2000 - 2001 and 1996 - 1997
- Membership Committee Co-chair, 1995 - 1997
- Co-authored a six-part program, entitled “When a Lawyer and Her Client are Both Indicted,” which is now listed in the National American Inns of Court Program Library Catalog.
Federal Bar Association, Judiciary Division
- Member, 1998 - present
- Board of Directors, N.D. Ohio Chapter, 2004 - 2008
- National Convention 2000 Steering Committee, 1998 - 2000
- Continuing Legal Education Sub-Committee, 1998 - 2000
Associate Adjunct Professor of Law, Case Western Reserve University Law School
- Teaching Pretrial Practice to third-year students. Consistent student evaluations of "excellent."
Licensed Instructor, Ohio Peace Officers Training Council
- Teaching trial testimony to City of Cleveland Police Cadets.
- Ohio Supreme Court, Atty. No. 0055347
- Colorado Supreme Court, Atty. No. 022420
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation
- United States Supreme Court
- Life Member, Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Life Member, Judicial Conference of the Eighth Judicial District of Ohio
- 2008 Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel
Case Western Reserve University School of Law
Juris Doctor Magna Cum Laude, 1991
- Law Review Notes Editor
- Honors, Order of the Coif
- Class Rank – top 3%
- American Jurisprudence Award (three times)
University of Michigan Honors College
Bachelor of Arts with Distinction, 1981
- Double Major in Economics and Psychology
- Class Honors – three years